This post contains affiliate links, if you make a purchase using these links, I may receive a small commission. Please see my disclosure policy here.
When my husband and I started dating, I was introduced to “real” refried beans. My poor husband suffered through lots of cans of refried beans until I started cooking them in the Crock-Pot . No matter how hard I tried, I could not ever get my dried beans to cook. It was maddening. So when I found out that you could actually cook dried beans in the Crock-Pot , I was excited to give it a try. I wanted mine to taste as close to the way my mother in law’s tasted as possible.
Crockpot Refried Beans
- 1 lb bag Pinto Beans
- 8 cups of water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2-3 slices American Cheese
- Rinse and sort your beans.
- Do not worry about soaking your beans!! Pour them into the crockpot and cover with the water.
- Cook on low all day.(or about 6 -8 hrs).
- About 30 minutes before you are ready to start mashing them, you will add all the spices to give them time to give the beans a good flavor. (Don't put the spices in earlier, because you will wind up having to put more in later).
- After 30 minutes turn off the crock pot and put in the sliced cheese.
- Take a potato masher and mash the beans until there are almost no whole beans left.
These beans are so easy and so yummy! Use them for tacos, bean burritos or my Taco Cups which I will share with you later!