This post contains affiliate links, if you make a purchase using these links, I may receive a small commission. Please see my disclosure policy here.
A long, long time ago when Josh and I first got married, I found a very simple Tortilla Soup recipe. It was tucked into the coupon insert of the Sunday paper. That was one of my very first recipes that did not involve any type of Hamburger Helper. It was so good that I still to this day get asked to make it.
That was almost 18 years ago!
Since then, I can’t seem to find the Mahatma Red Beans and Rice anymore, so I decided that I would adapt my old recipe to add in a few new ingredients. It is still just as easy and delicious as ever!
Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup
- 1 lb cooked chicken breast diced
- 1 cup dry black beans pre-cooked(or two cans)
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 6 cups water
- 4 Chicken Buillion Cubes or better than Buillion
- 2 cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 pack Taco Seasoning or make your own mix
- 2 tsp salt
- Sliced Avocado
- Cilantro - chopped
- Tortilla Strips or Chips
- Put the chicken, beans, water, buillion, tomatoes, and seasoning in the crockpot.
- Stir well.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Add rice in about 30 minutes before you are ready to eat.
- Slice Avocado and chop cilantro.
- Top with Tortilla Chips, cheese, avocado and cilantro.
This Tortilla Soup recipe is very versatile.
Use red beans instead of black. Brown rice instead of white. Skip the Avocado. Use chicken broth instead of water and buillion. Use boxed red beans and rice. Seriously, it will still be delicious!
Looking for more soup recipes? Try Chicken Noodle Soup !